We are welcoming anyone who would like to join us online for the DoD microbiome symposium to be held at the United States Air Force from 5-7 April (see schedule below). The symposium will explore current and future research directions in the human and built environment microbiome that may benefit the DoD, Veterans, and their Families. A major goal of the symposium is to bring together DoD microbiome researchers and program managers together to encourage collaborations across services. We will have researchers attending and presenting from multiple agencies from Army, Navy, Air Force, and Veteran Affairs. Also in attendance will be program managers from DARPA, DTRA, Office of Naval Research, Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Army Research Office, and Henry M. Jackson Foundation. With our desired goal to increase collaboration, the symposium was limited to 50 participants (although we stretched to 60). Given the interest, we have decided to live-stream the talks in the symposium to anyone who would like to listen. We will also track questions and ask them if there is time. Funding for this symposium was provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation under the research project to track the cadet microbiome.
Link for live stream will be on website (https://www.mirecc.va.gov/visn19/mvm/) and twitter (@MVM_CoRE) a few days prior.
Tentative Schedule (all times in MST)
Thursday 6 April
- 0800-0830 Welcome
- 0830-0915 Jack Gilbert – Professor at University of Chicago
- 0930-1000 Andrew Hoisington – Assistant Professor at USAFA
- 1000-1015 Robyn Barbato, US Army ERDC-Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory
- 1015-1030 Linda Chrisey – Program Manager Office of Naval Research
- 1030-1045 Blair Dancy – U.S. Army Center for Environmental Health Research
- 1230-1300 Lisa Brenner – Professor at University of Colorado Denver
- 1300-1330 Erica Hartmann – Assistant Professor at Northwestern University
- 1330-1345 Philip Karl – Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine
- 1345-1400 Camilla Mauzy – AF Research Lab, 711 Human Performance Wing
Friday 7 April
- 0800-0845 Christopher Lowry – Associate Professor at University of Colorado Boulder
- 0845-0915 Kerry Kinney – Professor at University of Texas Austin
- 0915-0930 Noah Fierer – Associate Professor at University of Colorado Boulder
- 0945-1000 David Butler – National Academy of Sciences
- 1015-1030 Scott Merrell – Uniformed Services University
- 1030-1045 Wendy Goodman – Air Force Research Lab
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me at Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org.