Fun microbiology news this week. The BioBE Center has a new paper that is getting a lot of press. The paper is about microbes and roller derby. Really.
If you want the inside story check out the guest post by Ashley Bateman from the BioBE Center on my Tree of Life Blog: The Tree of Life: Guest post from Ashley Bateman on “Full contact microbes” – Roller Derby.
And check out some of the stories about their study:
- Roller Derby Players Swap Skin Microbes (Wired)
- Roller Derby Players Swap Bacteria (And Shoves) On The Track (NPR)
- What roller derby can tell us about germs (CNN)
- Roller derby skaters trade bumps, bruises — and bacteria (NBC)
- Best Scientific Paper Ever Studies Effect of Roller Derby on Microbe … (Geekosystem)
- Microbe vs. microbe: Sharing bacteria at the roller derby (LA Times)
and much much more